Thursday, August 18, 2011

What in the world?...

Guess what? Sometime last night, the water just ran out! No, a pipe didn't break...the water actually ran out! There apparently is a tub of water that sits up on the roof and when it's out, you're out! Don't know when we'll get more. So, no shower this morning, and deoderant doesn't cover the stink. Gotta walk over to the school to shower or take a pee until it's fixed.

This is Day # 17. I wonder how often this will happen.

On a positive note...
This week I've been giving my 3rd graders little mini activities to gauge their math skills and I'm relatively blown away! My kiddos created a bar graph, labeled the scale, wrote 5 detailed sentences about the data, can tell time pretty well on an analog clock, can add and subtract multi-digit #s without regrouping, and some even know their multiplication facts up to 10 x 10! I asked them to work in groups of four to complete a Venn Diagram, and they did, without arguing, and everyone participated. I asked them to write a 5 sentence paragraph about an important event in their lives, and many of them wrote a page or more, with capitals, periods, pretty good grammar, etc. I'm wondering where to even begin with them. This should be fun!

1 comment:

  1. Chica. How do I send you a package? The story of Britte' scarfing mac and cheese breaks my foodie heart. :)

    Love to hear all the descriptions of life in Nigeria. What a great OPPORTUNITY you have!!

    Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete