Saturday, October 22, 2011

It's Been A Busy Week:)

So, it's been a busy week, but it's weeks like this one that get us that much closer to our next little vacation! Thursday & Friday were our first Parent-Teacher Conferences in Africa. It's so much more exhausting than at our old school. For starters, ALL the parents come! Well, I had 23 out of 24, but most of my conferences had two parents which is different (in my experience). Furthermore, these parents are educated and make sure you know your stuff. They walk in with journals and take notes from your conversation! These parents ask meaningful questions (for the most-part) and are very specific in wanting to know about each aspect of their child's social & academic skills and behavior. And they are so gracious! I can't tell you how many parents ended the conference thanking me profusely for all that I do! As a teacher, it makes you feel really good about your choice of career. It also makes me realize how screwed-up American society is with their blame-it-on-the-teacher mentality! Many of my students are from around the world and their cultures put education at the top of their priority list - it's refreshing to not have to fight with children about why they need to do this and why they need to try their best, etc., and to then receive the support of their parents unconditionally! I'm starting to see why so many teachers enjoy their time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment